Friday 5 September 2008

A Little Hermit Crab

You've been likened to a hermit crab
the small and timid little creature
who ventures out - feet first
into the big wide world
too scared to expose all what you are
creeping out, and just as suddenly
scuttling back in
for fear
for what might happen
I used to be like you
but now I am a gecko
I am curious
and explore the walls of existence
nearing close to others
out of a need to touch
with them
and be touched back
to be fed water
for my thristy spirit
yet my skin is still so thin
like a sheet of rice paper
that can be torn
with ease
i know this, and yet
I want to stay as a gecko
I also get so very scared,
just like you
I know this too,
but I like my paper-thin skin
and how intensely and richly
I can experience, feel, absorb
all of life
I invite you to come out
and experience the world with me -
little bit by little bit
you sometimes peak out
and I can see what you REALLY look like
(and not see what you let everyone else see -
a shell, with a voice echoing mysteriously from it)
... but rather I get to see YOU
You,
in all your timidness, and sensitivity
in all your gentle ways
and curiosity
with all your child-like intrigue
Why? I wonder
do you not want to be this all the time?
Its so much more fun
and you get to feel the warmth of the sun,
called Love and Life
on your spiritual skin...
come out and venture with me ...
like the child you used to be............. please.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Angela Iris Jean Blake is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 South Africa License.